the first FIVE years

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

The kids are spending Thanksgiving this year with their Mom. Other than missing them and wishing they were with me, this has to be one of the best Thanksgiving Days I can remember. I went to the gym this morning (they were open until 2PM) and worked out for a couple of hours. Afterwards, I sort of ditched out on my family for quite a few hours. I did eventually meet up with all of them and it was great to eat, laugh, and just spend time with them. I have wanted to do something for several years, and since I didn't have the kids, figured this was the year to do it. It was such an amazing experience and one I hope to repeat in the future. I have gained a whole new perspective on the words "blessed," "thankful," "fortunate," and "love" (as in seeing all as your brother or sister). I am so blessed in every way, and I am so thankful. I was telling a friend how odd I think it is (in a joking way), that we show how thankful we are by having a smorgasbord of food and pigging out. As I then explained, everyone knows that Thanksgiving is not REALLY about the food, the food is just an excuse. It is about getting together with those we love and care about. It is about enjoying each other's company. It is a special time in which we stop all the hustling that the world requires to re-center ourselves on what is truly important. The concept of this Holiday is so great. We stop for a time to realize our blessings and to spend time with loved ones. I think the pilgrims and Indians were truly inspired.

Who is Visiting?