One of my classes was cancelled, so I headed to the rec center for a few hours again today. As I was checking in, the teacher from the kickboxing class was about to begin another class. She looked at me somewhat expectantly. I quickly turned away, not catching her eye, and ran to the gym. You're not going to get me again, lady! When I got to the gym I realized this particular time must be geriatric hour. I swear I was the only one in there who was under 60 for quite a while. I got on the elliptical next to a cute, sweet old lady walking on a treadmill. I said, hello and we talked. During the conversation, she told me several times that I am a "nice, good looking, tall young gentleman." In my head I was thinking, "glad you think so, do me a favor and convince girls in my own age group!" She said that normally people my age would never have a conversation with her. I actually really enjoyed talking to her, it was a lot of fun. She then noticed my hands (okay, anyone who has noticed my size 15 feet has obviously noticed that my hands aren't dainty). She said, "My, what BIG, strong hands you have!" The smart alec in me wanted to pull a Little Red Riding Hood and say, "and what big eyes and teeth you have, Grandma." Don't worry I restrained myself. As I finished warming up on the elliptical she told me once again that I was a handsome young man and that she enjoyed our conversation. It is really sad to see someone's eyes and hearing deteriorate to a point that they would think that about me. As I was lifting weights, an older guy and I were talking. He asked, "so, is it worth it?" I said, "what, you mean working out?" He said, "yeah." I said, "yeah, I think so, for me it is probably even better for my head then it is for my body." He replied, "well I wish I could agree, but my head is telling my body to get my "butt" the "heck" (G-rated) out of here, I don't even feel like working out today." I could only laugh. I have to say that I loved having these conversations. I also did quite a bit of people watching too. It is one of my favorite pastimes. I think people are so interesting. One of the things that caught my eye was a 70 year old guy wearing his polo shirt and dockers, doing a workout that probably puts many younger people to shame.
I really have enjoyed working out, both at home, and especially at the gym. It has really become somewhat addictive. I am now thinking I should just break down and buy a pass to some gym. One of the things that is great about working out is that I feel as though a bunch of frat boys must be descending on my belly. My keg is slowly turning into a six pack and I am even starting to see the little plastic thing that holds it all together! It has been my life long desire to have a six pack. I am going to do it. If I keep up with all my work out routines, maybe one day I will have to change my e-mail address from fatfattyfatso@me.com to phatphattyphatso@me.com. I wonder if all the old ladies will still think I am handsome then.
On a more ADD serious note. The sun was shining and it quit snowing about 4:30PM today. As we were walking out, one of my co-workers said, "Don't you love it, the sun decides to come out, 5 seconds before it is going to set!" Just when I was about to agree, I thought about it. I then replied, "yeah, isn't it great that we get sunny clear skies today, even if only for a few brief minutes?" I think he thought I was retarded.......oh well.


