the first FIVE years

Friday, November 28, 2008

Doctors/Patients

MEETING WITH THE DOCTOR
Earlier this week I went to the doctor. I knew that I was sick with about the only thing I ever get sick with, strep throat. I am the king of strep throat. I have had it six times in one winter, but I am hoping to break that record this year. So far I have had it three times since August. So, I went to the Instacare. I went in and had all the normal vitals checked. Everything was perfectly normal except the reading for oxygen in my blood, it was 91 out of 100. I have learned plenty about this reading in my work over the years. While this is not a great level, it is not horrible either. It could very easily be explained away by someone being sick. I then met with the doctor. I described my cold like symptoms and even told her that it is probably strep throat as that is the only thing I ever get sick with. She instantly zeroed in on the low oxygen level. She called for a chest x-ray and a few blood tests, despite my protests. They turned up nothing. She said, "well, let's just wish for the best, it seems like a virus." I said, "Do you think I could get an antibiotic?" I know that antibiotics will not help a virus, but I was quite sure it was not a virus, but a bacterial infection, like..........STREP THROAT! She told me "no, antibiotics do not help viruses." I said, "do you think we could do a strep test then?" She said, "that's fine, but it is just a waste of time." She did a strep test in a very upset sort of way. I mean how dare I question the doctor? What do I know? It is only the body I have lived in my whole life. She came back and said, "wow, you really know your body, we didn't even have to wait the regular length of time, and it was totally positive." Oh my goodness! How surprising! I NEVER saw that coming! She was suddenly my friend again. Overall, I really am grateful that she was willing to go above and beyond, as many doctors won't. If I would have had something serious going on, it would have all been worth it. In the end I am thankful she was so concerned about my health..........that is, until I get the bill from the radiologist.

FUN WITH A PATIENT
Every time I am leaving a patients' home before a holiday, I will say a phrase such as, "HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!" Most patients appreciate it, I think, and respond in a similar fashion. On Wednesday, one patient wasn't nearly as appreciative. I could only guess that she might be a certain religion. In a very stern, upset manner she said, "You really should be careful who you say things to, not everyone celebrates these holidays, so it can be very offensive!" I was not willing to apologize because I was not truly sorry. I politely said, "okay, thank you, that is good to know." I mean if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, I would not get upset, I would just say, "thank you." Doesn't mean I celebrate it. As I was about to leave the next patients' home, I remembered what the last lady had said. It took me ALMOST an eighth of a second to say, "HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!" Maybe that last lady would not have been so crabby if she were willing to celebrate a holiday in which we GIVE THANKS! I know, just another one of my crazzzy theories. Also, if she is indeed a member of the faith I think she is, I am pretty sure they have some pretty big limits on the amount of medical care they will receive. It sort of makes me wonder what I was doing there in the first place.

Who is Visiting?