Friday, November 28, 2008
The Mall
I already just posted something a couple of hours ago, but I can't help sharing. I don't know if I really have more weird experiences than everyone I know, or if it is how I look at them. Either way, here is another one. I have to first explain that I have not been in a mall (other than maybe a quick photo shoot for the kids) in at least 3 years. It is just not my cup of tea, and I almost never have a reason to go there. Tonight the kids were doing something with their Mom and I was left to my own devices until they returned (never a good thing). I could not make too many plans because I needed to be available at their return. I went to the mall to see if I could find a present I had been looking for. So, I am walking and since no one can miss me, every kiosk person wants to stop me. Some of them are creative and say, "can I ask you a question?" Just so you know, if you are asked this in the future, the answer is, NO! I didn't want to be rude, so I said sure. The lady asks me if I believe in magic. I say, "not really." Before I know it, she grabs my hand and starts polishing my thumb nail to a high gloss luster. She then says, "now do you believe in magic?" I responded that while it was impressive and all, I still don't really believe in magic. She retorts, that is because I haven't told you the price. All I could think is, "unless you are paying me to buy your product, I am not going to believe in magic." So, I had to sternly tell her "not today" (don't worry, lots of practice with the kids) a few times before my shiny thumb nail and I were set free. I think I am in the clear when I almost instantly get stopped by another kiosk person. I kid you not, she says, "how would you like to improve the look of your face?" I was sooooo close to asking her if she was indeed the magician the other girl had been talking about. I laughingly told her that, "we all have our challenges, and if God thinks I need to have a face like this, I will cheerfully deal with it." She then responds, "well, it could be so much better." Is this girl captain obvious or what? I am walking through a mall by MYSELF on a Friday night! Don't you think I know that? Eventually, with all the politeness I could possibly muster, I got out of there. I don't know if that was how she was trained to approach people, or if that is just a special talent she was blessed with. Perhaps if things don't work out at the mall, she could get a job as a counselor helping people who may be struggling with their self-esteem. Let's just say that I walked very close to the walls for the rest of my sojourn at the mall, and stayed away from the middle. Come to think of it, three years may have been a little premature to be walking around the mall....


