the first FIVE years

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Van Down!

Crash, Bang, Whiz! (No I haven't been watching 1970s Batman re-runs)
Yesterday, in the late afternoon I went to the Logan area for work. The roads were totally snow covered everywhere I went. Going to and from Logan, I was flying through Sardine Canyon at a lofty 18 MPH........both ways! I ended up making it home at about 2AM this morning. I went back to work bright and early. Today was nothing like yesterday (insert slight sarcasm). I was helping to load up some vans. By 8:40AM, word spread that one of our guys had just lost control in the bad weather, and crashed his van into a ditch. He was headed to Delta, and lost control on I-15 by Payson. By 9:05AM we had a second guy, who was headed to Richfield, slide off and roll his van within 60 feet of where the first one had just been towed out. Both of the guys are completely fine, which really is an amazing blessing considering how many oxygen tanks they were loaded down with (they are under so much pressure that they can literally become like torpedoes if a tank should burst open at all). As I was finishing to help load a van, they came to me and told me that they needed me to take care of some patients in Utah County. They told me that I needed to be to one patient's home by 11AM in Payson, another by 12:30PM in Spanish Fork, and another by 1PM in Mapleton. There were some other patients that needed to be seen as well, buy there was no urgency for their medicine to be administered. I know what you are thinking. "Didn't I just read about two of his co-workers crashing where they are asking him to go?" The answer is YES! There were three of us there, and they walked right up to me. Why do I suddenly feel like I am not loved at work? I think it would have been better if they would have said, "Kent, we just lost two vans down in Payson, and our guys could have been seriously injured. We not only need you to go there, but we need you to hurry down there. We can't afford to jeopardize any regular person in this weather, so we are sending you, congratulations." :) What is even better is that they needed me to haul a ton of stuff to our Provo location, so I had to drive one of our rear drive polygamist vans rather then my front drive caravan. I actually joked around about this whole scenario with all the guys at work (including the supervisor who sent me there). It is too bad that I disappointed everyone by having a very uneventful trip, AND making all of my deadlines. What can I say? I am blessed. I did however pass at least 8 vehicles between Salt Lake and Spanish Fork that had slid off of I-15 on my way down there.


A Career in Advertising?
Today while I was driving I saw a marked business truck. What was so unusual was that it was for a burial vault company. The best part was their slogan: "We are there in your time of need." I was laughing my head off, thinking that perhaps burial vault companies just should not have slogans. Then, I got thinking. Maybe I could just create a better slogan for them. So, here are some of the ones I came up with:
  1. Burial vault company....."There is no way your ancestors will roll over in their grave when you buy one of our quality burial vaults for them."
  2. Burial vault company....."By purchasing one of our quality vaults, you and your family will be able to rest peacefully at night.........and forever!"
  3. Burial vault company....."Our vaults are a few heads and shoulders BELOW the rest.....like...6 feet below."
  4. Burial vault company....."Choosing a vault for your loved ones can be a huge undertaking, let us be there in your time of need."
  5. Burial vault company......"Your loved one will rest so peacefully in one of our vaults that even if they weren't dead, everyone would think they were."
  6. Burial vault company......"Be willing to show you love them dead or alive. Give your loved one the very best this Christmas, give them a burial vault from The Burial Vault Company."
  7. Burial vault company......"Our vaults are to die for!"
  8. Burial vault company......"When you care enough to send the very best."
  9. Burial vault company......"Don't you put your other valuables in some sort of vault?"

Please be sure to tell me what you think. I am thinking I might just have to change my major.

Who is Visiting?