the first FIVE years

Monday, December 15, 2008

Give Me More, More, More

Okay, no one is really saying that about my blog! Everyone out there is saying, give us WAY less, less....OR........none! Once again, it is how I keep a journal for myself and the kids. No one has to read it (as if anyone is at this point). I haven't updated this thing in a while (for me lately one day is HUGE). I figure I will finally let you all know what has been going on in my life (sarcasm intended). Sunday we ended up staying home from church. While the kids were not contagious, I think they felt pretty miserable. I think taking them to Primary would have their teachers feeling pretty miserable after dealing with them. So, we stayed home and kicked it old school. Sunday night, we actually watched the "Santa Clause 2." The kids just watched "The Santa Clause" last weekend, so it was great when #2 came on the TV. The kids especially thought Chet (a mildly stupid reindeer) was hilarious (probably because it reminded them of their Dad). Grandpa wanted to do some fun stuff with the kids Sunday night as well, so we did. They planted/potted their own amaryllis with Grandpa, which has become a holiday tradition in the last couple of years. Later, Grandpa and Grandma told us all about a Rotary dinner that they went to last Thursday. Apparently the club asked one of the Jewish members of the Rotary to talk about Hanukkah. He did, and he gave every person a toy thing called a dreidel (don't worry I didn't know about any of this stuff either). We played the dreidel games and we all had a great time doing that as well.

Today we didn't do much. I played a ton of games with the kids to keep them entertained. When I could tell they were going totally stir crazy, we ran some errands before I took them down to their Mom this evening. I met up with a couple of guys from work at the gym. We were going to play a couple of games of 21 (no not the blackjack kind). The gym already had a bunch of guys playing full court games. They invited us, so we accepted. The games were pretty fierce, the language even more so. We had a lot of fun though before we all headed out to workout. I sort of observed something interesting tonight while playing. It seems to me that those who were able (or more likely, willing to push themselves) to run up and down the court, won at least half the game. What I mean by that, is this. Those who were in a position to make a difference could, while those who lagged behind, usually were not able to contribute. It sort of got me thinking of how that applies to life. If we are willing to push ourselves to be where we need to be, "plays" sometimes just happen. We are in a better position to help others and work as a team. We are also there to accomplish what we need to do. Sorry, just another ADD moment.

  • Often I will call the kids "dude" and "dudette" for fun. I was teasingly asking T if he was a dudette. He said, "I am not some girly dudette, I am just a plain dude." I said, "oh then A must be the dudette." A of course heard me and in the sweetest voice ever, said, "how about if I am just a dude too, I don't really like the word dudeZette." Yes, she pronounced it dudezette.
  • While we were watching "The Santa Clause 2," an Applebee's commercial came on. A said, "I don't even know why everyone likes Applebees so much, they don't even have Happy Meals like McDonald's." What is even funnier is that the kids both seem to love Applebee's and have requested to go there many times over the years. They even call it the Apple Place.
  • At lunch time the kids were singing the Sleeping Beauty song, that says ".....I know you, I walked with once upon a dream...." They started disagreeing about a single word in the song. A thought it was one thing, T thought it was another. I was called upon to settle the dispute. When I said that I think T might be right, A responded with, "what do you guys know anyway, you are boys, you don't know stuff about princesses! Besides, Sleeping Beauty is my favorite movie, so I know everything about her!" How can you argue with that?
  • On the way down to take the kids to their Mom, we were listening to and singing (lucky for you all my performances are private.....poor kids!) Christmas songs. The kids knew quite a few of them, and would sing along. "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" came on. T asked if this was still Christmas music. I responded, "yeah, they are singing about the place where Jesus was born. Jesus was born in Bethlehem." A responded with, "ugh! we know that Daddy, everyone knows that, quit talking to us like we are children!" I laughed as I apologized, and asked, "well, how would you like me to talk to you then?" She said, "just talk to us like we are kids." I am still working on figuring out how to accomplish both requests at the same time, but at least I am trying.

Who is Visiting?