I guess someone should teach the polar bears how to read huh? Sadly, I think that is exactly what I would look like if I went down.I have dealt with quite a bit of ice today. Our front porch has become the apprentice to the local ice skating rink. I used this huge snow rake thing we have to bring a ton of snow crashing down off the roof. Then, I took a hammer to break up and clear the ice from the rain gutters to stop the slow trickle of water onto the porch. After all that effort, it only marginally worked, and the ice just seems to be a thinner sheet now. This morning the roads were still fairly bad around here. Grandpa and Grandma invited us to breakfast this morning. They go to the same place every Saturday morning. Every so often they invite us to come along. It is not the most amazing place, but they have a great Denver Omelet and the kids love the french toast. After breakfast we slipped and slid to all of the errands that we thought we were done with. I made sure to pull the emergency brake every time we were in an empty area of a snow covered parking lot. The kids love to make the back of the car slide. They are always laughing and loving it, and asking how I do that.
After our errands, (yeah, I think AND HOPE that we are finally done) the kids and I came home and made 132 (yes, that was 132!) cookies. We wrapped them up in the little holiday plastic bags and tied them with a bow. None of my bows or anything look very good, but everyone cuts me slack because I am just a single Dad. People are always cutting me a break on lots of stuff because I don't have a wife around to correct me. I think everyone just thinks, oh look, isn't it sweet that he tries so hard.....poor idiot.........he'll figure it out one day. After we got everything all together we took the cookies around to some friends, primary teachers, home teaching families, etc. The kids and I had a great time. I am sure the cookies were not the best, and probably all of the people we took them to could have made their own cookies that taste better. The phrase "it is the thought that counts" has never been truer than someone accepting cookies that I have made! At least I was helped, and they were delivered by, the cutest kids ever (yeah, I am pretty partial). Before we knew it, the day was over. I cannot believe how fast a day can go when you are having fun.
- A wanted to know all of the people we were taking the cookies to. Out of nowhere, she asked if I was going to take some to my High School teachers. Let me think about that.........NOPE, wasn't really planning on that at all. I just told A that I think we only have enough for the people on our list.
- A was getting somewhat upset about little things today. To distract her and have fun with her, my sister said, "maybe we should focus on a little bit of conflict resolution, you know what I am saying?" A sternly told her, "I would focus on conflict resolution if I even knew what that was!" That caused everyone including A to laugh.
- When I made the car slide the second time today, T asked me if I used the rescue brake. It took me a minute to figure out what on earth he was talking about, but I eventually understood and now I think that is a cool name for it.


