the first FIVE years

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Church Clothes


The kids got some new pre-Christmas church clothes. They love them. As you can see, A looks beautiful in her new dress and T looks handsome in his new sweater and pants. Our ward choir had a great program in Sacrament Meeting today. The kids even went up and sang "Silent Night." They did a great job! The kids are going to be with their Mom until late on Christmas Eve, so we did some things and talked about the real meaning of Christmas today. One of the things we did was watch the church movie, "Joy to the World." It basically gives the story from Luke 2 in the bible, but adds music and movie footage. The kids relaxed and watched it with me really well. For our family and the age of the kids, I think this was a far better option than reading it from the Bible. The kids got very interested and even asked a lot of questions during the movie. They seem to really know the real meaning of Christmas and why it is so important. If only we can keep that spirit with us through the rest of this season and beyond.
  • A asked me to help her color a picture today in church. It was a princess. I ended up coloring 95% of the picture (A only colored the shoes). She then said, "here Daddy, you can have this pretty picture I colored just for you."
  • I asked T to be really reverent just before a prayer today. He whined that, "all this meeting is, is a long song, a prayer, a long song, a prayer....it is so DUMB sometimes!"
  • Just before we started the movie today, I told the kids to come in by the TV. I couldn't see T coming, so I asked him to come again. In a cute way he said, "I am coming, what do you think, I am doing the mamba?" Where on earth does he hear this stuff?
  • In a tiny part of the movie, there are some mean guys who reject the prophets. A said, "those guys are not very nice are they Daddo?" I said, "no they aren't are they?" T then said, "yeah, they must play on Satan's team."
  • T was really sweet during one point in the movie today. The movie very briefly showed the Savior on the cross. T all of the sudden, with a little bit shaky voice, said, "Daddy if I was there, I would have helped Jesus off of the cross and stopped those bad men from hurting Him." All I could say as I hugged them both was, "me too buddy, me too." I am so often amazed by the amazing depth of my Christlike children. This is exactly what they are talking about when they say to "be like a little child."

Who is Visiting?