the first FIVE years

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Weekend Update

This weekend we did a little bit of this and a little bit of that. We did not do much during the day Friday. We went to the park, hung around the house, etc. In the evening we went to their cousins house because my brother was taking his wife away overnight for her birthday. We ate pizza, played, and watched a movie. It was a lot of fun; it is always great to have cousin time.
On Saturday we went to the "This is the Place Heritage Park." We had never been there and it was free last Saturday, so we figured, okay. We had a great time touring some of the historic homes as well as the shops. The kids loved the train rides, the little village (where everything was there size), the wagon ride (and petting the horses after, as well as the kids thanking them for working so hard), and especially the huge blow-up slides and little bounce houses (not really sure if that is what you call them, but it works for me). I don't think the last thing is normally a feature of the park. The kids and I had a great time, we did everything we could in four or so hours, and we still did not do everything. They even had free Domino's Pizza, bottles of water, and ice cream. It was a great time.
This morning I was getting something out of my car before church, I noticed remnants of a broken glass jar and some jalapeno peppers on the ground near the truck. It appears some awesome kids decided it would be cool to launch the full jar of peppers from their moving vehicle right at my truck's windshield. They broke my windshield wiper arm as well as completely destroying the windshield, making it so you couldn't even see out to drive it (luckily it is not my daily driver). I called the police as soon as I saw it and luckily he was able to come and take a look before church. He basically told me that my truck is an easy target because if I look up and down the street it is the ONLY vehicle parked on the street. Looks like I will be parking the truck on the side of the house behind the boat from now on. Oh, well, I guess I am lucky enough to buy another new windshield (this one was only 8 months old and probably only had 2000 miles on it). The day started to go better from there though. We were on time to Primary, so they got a sticker! In Sacrament Meeting the kids were pretty good, until, T got really upset about something. I tried to settle him down, which only seemed to make him more angry. I think he was talking more loudly than the speaker by the time we left the meeting. He kept yelling, "I'LL BE GOOD, I'LL BE GOOD!" I don't know why my kids can't just cry when I take them out. Whenever I take them out everyone knows exactly whose kid it is, why they are upset, and the exact length of time it takes for me to hurry from our row to the foyer. It is awesome! Overall, they really are sweet kids though. I can't simply judge the five minutes they are naughty, if they are good for 12 hours. When you look at the overall picture, kids are, for the most part very good, although, that five minutes CAN seem like 12 hours sometimes. Anyway, that is about all that happened this weekend.

T & A at the kid village sticking their head out the train windows. I don't believe it is possible to have both of your children's eyes looking at the camera at the same time. Just a theory!
This was one of the cool slides. In this one you had to go through all kinds of obstacles before you ever made it to the slide.
This slide was called the "wave of fire," although I never saw any fire. The kids loved this one, it really is pretty amazingly tall, even though the picture does not show it very well.
We of course had to get a picture in front of the statue. There the kids are, all loaded up with wagon and cooler of cold drinks.
This is the picture at the end of the day through the trucks (not broken yet!) windshield. I think this pose was maintained for the next 5 miles after we left the park. The kids insisted on driving the truck, and since we hadn't driven it for a while, I decided it needed to be driven. Little did I know that it may be a week or two until we get a new windshield and drive it again.
  • T asked me to look for things that were his favorite color. I have noticed that favorite colors can change with a child's mood. Therefore, I asked T, "what is your favorite color?" He responded, "green..........and blue, and red, and orange, and purple, and black, and brown, and light blue, and dark blue, and regular blue, and yellow." I am not kidding, that was almost his exact response.
  • One morning we were wrestling. I had T pinned and was tickling him. Out of no where he said through laughter, "stop tickling me, your killing me smalls." I have said this phrase a couple of times to them when we were joking around, but I thought it was interesting that he would think of me as "smalls." I could easily see him calling me "tubby," but I am still trying to wrap my arms around the idea that I could be considered "smalls."
  • A found some Christmas stickers somewhere and showed them to T and I. I asked her where she got them because Christmas was clear in the winter time and it was now the middle of summer. She told me. T then said, "oh my goodness, A you have Christmas stickers and it is the 4th of July, that just makes me just want to fall out of my chair." Although he was off a week or so on his dates, his comment was still funny. Don't ask me where he came up with that on his own.
  • When we got our free slice of pizza at the park, there were not really any remaining seats. I told the kids to just stand up and eat it. T said, "can't we just sit on the grass FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" I replied "sure."

Who is Visiting?