the first FIVE years

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Abundantly Blessed

Today, we tested the faith of the members of the EQ by having me lead the lesson/discussion. The topic was President Monson's talk in the last General Conference about being abundantly blessed. As I was preparing, a few things came to my mind. In all the things he mentioned, he never once talked about the worldly blessings, although I do not doubt he appreciates those as well. His entire talk was about his family, the Gospel, and impact of people, etc. It definitely puts it in perspective. The other thing I thought of was, that someone viewing themselves as blessed has as much to do with attitude as someone who chooses to be happy. What I mean by that is you could have two people live almost identical lives and one could feel very blessed his whole life and the other could be complaining their whole life. There were a lot of great comments and it was interesting to think of all the ways we could easily feel like we are NOT blessed, or how little it takes to steer us away. There were also a lot of great comments on how we could constantly realize our blessings. That is one of the biggest reasons I have done a blog and keep a personal journal. It is one of the best ways for me to see all that I have been blessed with as I sit and ponder each day. It is a great time for me for personal reflection and while I may or may not write EVERYTHING I am thinking, it does allow me to see my many blessings. In Sunday School the lesson talked a lot about humility (good thing I didn't have to teach that one!). It was a great lesson on how we can choose, or be compelled to be humble. We talked a lot about what it is to choose and seek to be humble. It was a great day at church and I once again did not have to take the kids out of Sacrament, I only had to shush them a million times and remind them to whisper. As long as we are making progress! I am hopeful for a bright future of perfect children at age 6 who sit and listen with their arms folded. During dinner they can comment on all of the things they learned from the speaker. Later they will write a college level paper in their journal. Does that seem at all unreasonable? I mean they have a whole year and half to get there. I am not asking for them to be that way tomorrow. LOL.

Who is Visiting?