the first FIVE years

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friday Night Exotic Camping Trip

This is what it looks like on the kitchen table anytime the kids think they need to make something. They go to the drawers and find all of this themselves, and they end up using ALL of it. T said that he wanted to make something for A because he loves her and wants her to know it. I thought that was really nice. He can be the most rough and tumble kid in the world, and honestly quite ornery when he wants to be, but more often than not he is really sweet.
A fell down and (barely) scraped her knee, T went over to all the flowers and picked A one before I even knew what was going on. Apparently she didn't get all her dinner off of her face before she came outside though. That is probably what threw off her equilibrium therefore causing the fall.
About a month of so ago I found this tent on sale really, really cheap. I had previously talked to the kids about taking them camping. We have never really done it and the tent has just sat in the garage for a month. Last night after I mowed the lawns I asked them if they wanted to sleep in the tent in the backyard. They were so excited, so we set up the tent. The kids wanted to help with everything, which can be a little nerve racking when they are holding poles and do not really understand the dangers of the lengths of the poles. We got the tent all set up and got the sleeping bags and pillows. They were so excited I thought they would be up for hours. We went in the tent at about 8:45 and they were actually asleep at about 9:40 after they felt they needed bathroom trips, something to drink, a cheese stick, etc. I was actually surprised that they went to sleep that early. I was preparing for the long haul of them being up til midnight. This was also a good test to see how they were before we "really" go camping. The kids kept wanting to light a fire, it took a lot to explain to them that it is not really a cool thing to do in the backyard. I am thinking we will try to camp at Jordanelle and take the boat up there one Friday, also there should be an upcoming "Fathers and kids" camp out in the ward in August so hopefully we will camp a few more times before the season is over.

There they are all snug in their sleeping bags. I hadn't put mine in yet.
The morning after outside the tent.
T loved to sit on the sleeping bag when it was put away in its stuff sack. A of course took Milky into the tent to sleep with her.

  • My sister loves to joke around with the kids. On the phone one night she asked what they were doing. A said nothing. So, she said, "oh, you're just kickin' it?" A said, "what?" So, my sister said, "you know, just chillin', you know what I am saying?" A said, "No, I have no idea what you are saying, you are not even making sense!" It went on like this for a while, the conversation was really funny and my sister and A were laughing the whole time as well.
  • T was jumping on the bed and fell against the wall. I don't know about all of you, but often when my kids are doing something and they get hurt, it is automatically my fault. So, when he started with "Dad!" I knew I was in trouble. I was surprised when the rest of the sentence contained the following: "why don't you move the wall, it is not even in a good place!" That caused me to laugh which caused T and A to laugh pretty hard too.
  • We saw some friends we haven't hung out with for a while the other day. I told the kids we would have to figure out a time in the next few weeks and see if they can do something. T said, "I would be so excited to hang out (with his friend) that I might just have to pee my undies." He then laughed. He says some of the funniest and weirdest things. I don't know where he gets that from.

Who is Visiting?