Saturday, June 7, 2008
Kung-Fu Panda-The stickiest movie I have ever seen!
Today our friends, the Anderson's, (all of our friends seem to have common last names, so I don't see a point in hiding them anymore) invited us to go to the movie Kung Fu Panda with them. We met them at the Gateway theater this afternoon. We all arrived at about the same time and got the tickets. I decided we could splurge and pay the $468 fee for a jumbo popcorn (but hey, it comes with a free refill!!) and then another $920 for two large drinks. One for me and one for the kids to share. So, after we spent the kid's college fund on popcorn and drinks we went into the movie. I was carrying trays (which the kids could eat some of the popcorn out of, with napkins of course), one of the drinks, and the jumbo popcorn. A was carrying the kid's lemonade. We made it all the way to our seats to find that none of the arm rests (which house the cup holders) were down. I had just sat down to arrange everything, not wanting to put anything on the floor for fear the kids wo
uld accidentally kick it over. Suddenly A said that her drink was making her hands too cold. I told her to wait just two seconds while I finished the process of lowering one of the armrests. Apparently two seconds would have given her frost bite in her mind, so she LAID their drink, lid pointing down, on my seat, right next to my right leg. She then turned her back to me and began talking to her friends. I hurriedly try to pick the drink up, trying to stop the sudden cooling feeling now piercing my shorts and seat. I also am making a concerted effort not to drop anything else. Both of my kids were busy talking to their friends oblivious of the perilous circumstances I was in. My friends tried to help, but could not make it past all the kids. When all of the sudden the lid pops off of MY drink and I spill about half of it. Some pours on me, some on the seat, and some on the floor (in my defense the cup I was given had a deformed brim and so the lid did not stay on very well anyway). In my scramble the lemonade crashes to the floor spilling its entire contents, and I notice I have also poured a small amount of popcorn from the tub to the floor to top it all off. I am still scrambling, laughing hysterically at what a mess I have made, amazed that in a few short seconds I have suddenly turned our row of seats into Hiroshima. A turns around to see what is going on and yells, "DADDY, WHY DID YOU THROW OUR DRINK ALL OVER THE FLOOR?!!" Her comment only caused me to laugh even harder (which made responding to her and cleaning up that much more difficult). After she said that I thought, "gee, I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to lay that drink down on my seat, looking back that really seems like a silly thing to do." So, I finally got everything arranged and cleaned up the best I could without a fire hose. I now realize that putting things on the floor and chancing that they would get kicked over might not be that bad (at least then I would not be laughing at my wet pants and seat). As the movie began, I went back to the snack bar to buy another drink for the kids, looking like my right leg and rear end had met some terrible ordeal in the bathroom moments before. I purchased another drink and headed back into the movie. The best part of the story? As we were initially moving to our seats, (before the bomb went off) my feet were somewhat sticking to the floor as I was walking. I thought to myself, how do people get these floors so sticky? Well, I don't care what any teacher says, there IS such thing as a stupid question, or at least questions that should not be answered. Anyway, what a hilarious story, I could not stop laughing the entire time, except for the part where I had to spend another $460 on a new drink, but other than that it was hilarious. I don't think I have had a funnier experience at the movies. We were all laughing long after the movie ended. Kung-Fu Panda was really a good show and pretty funny (although I might have been in silly, slapstick mode before the movie even started, thus making everything funnier). I thought it was entertaining for the kids and for the adults. The best way I could describe it would be to call it a cross between Mulan and Beverly Hills Ninja with Chris Farley. The kids and I really liked it a lot. After the movie we went back to the Anderson's house and played into the evening. We had a BBQ and had really good hot dogs and hamburgers. It was a lot of fun hanging out with them. We are trying to squeeze in as much time as we can with them before they move to Ohio in August. They probably feel like I am the Verizon phone guy, but instead of asking "can you hear me now?" I ask, "can you hang out now?" Well, maybe they aren't the ONLY ones who feel that way. As always we had a great time and hopefully we can get together a few more times before they move. At the very least we have given them a story that should ensure they can never forget us.


