the first FIVE years

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bathroom Faucet


At the very end of every bathroom faucet (or most any household faucet) you will find this little tiny ring just before the water comes out. This piece is called the aerator. Its function is to make the water spray straight down, be cosmetically appealing, and usually has somewhat of a strainer built into it to prevent things from getting stuck in the spout. This piece can be removed from the spout of most faucets to enable people to hook up kits for filling or draining water beds or for other things as well. So, it was removed from one of the sinks in one of the bathrooms in this house a few years ago when the last water bed was taken out. This aerator, as well as numerous socks has apparently been taken by aliens and has never been seen since. This has not really caused any problems other than the fact that the water sprays out farther into the sink instead of going directly down and that we don't appreciate alien theft. That is until last night..... One or both of the kids washed their hands in that sink around 5:30pm last night. No one had been in that bathroom for several hours after, until I went in at about 2:00am. I walked in and instantly heard a splash as well as a cool, wet feeling on the bottom of my socks. It took me a minute, but I finally figured out what had caused the whole bathroom floor to be flooded. It seems that the sink was BARELY left on. This had caused a tiny little stream to run back along the bottom of the faucet, to the counter. That part of the counter eventually could not handle anymore and it slowly drizzled all over the floor. I had to laugh to myself as I filled 8 full size bath towels and did quite a bit of mopping. Apparently the kids cannot handle all of my clothes being dry at the same time. Sure they will let me wear some dry clothes, but not all of my clothes really need to be dry in their mind. I wonder if a good old fashioned water fight might get this all out of their system. It's okay though, because I usually mop that floor on Fridays, so now I am a couple days ahead of the game. What thoughtful kids to free up more of my time on Friday.

Who is Visiting?