the first FIVE years

Monday, August 11, 2008

Welcome to Monday


Like every Monday, we did a lot of cleaning up the house, doing laundry, etc. in order for the house to be clean while I am at school and work and the kids are back with their Mom for a couple of days. We took a break in the late afternoon to go swimming at the rec center again. It is great that they have a family night rate. The kids had a great time and are really starting to learn a lot of new things and be pretty fearless. T can swim as long as he has a life jacket on. He kicks his feet and he paddles his arms, and he can go where he needs to go. He has really learned most of it by watching other kids. I have helped him, but he is very observant and picks up a lot of things by watching others (as long as he learns good things, we don't really have a problem). A has learned to kick her legs and lie on her back. She doesn't really have any direction, but she does move now. They both jump into the pool now, I have worked with them on plugging their nose and closing their mouths. For a lot of the night, A would let go of her nose just before she hit the water. She would then come up sputtering and coughing. Towards the end of the night, she got the hang of it though. I taught the kids what a canon ball is tonight. I showed them once and they thought it was so funny and loved the waves it made. They made me keep doing it for quite a while. I probably did 20 canon balls by the end of the night. It is nice being a dork in general because then when you have to do things for your kids, you are no worse off. I love to see them laugh and smile, so it is worth it. I think I need to enroll the kids in some swimming lessons, because they are little fish when it comes to wanting to swim. They only need the skills to navigate around the pool on their own. One of the best things about swimming comes later. The kids are usually so tired after swimming that they go right to sleep and usually sleep so well all night long.


  • Today I found a spider and killed it. I was just finishing up when T asked what I was doing. I told him that I found spider and just killed it. He asked to see it and I said that it was wadded up in a tissue. He then asked, "Was it a Daddy spider?" I told him that it was pretty big, so it might be a Daddy spider. "He said, no I mean a Daddy leg spider?" It took me a minute to realize that he was talking about a Daddy Long Legs spider. I thought it was funny because it was probably the only spider I have identified to him. It was funny that he would remember me telling him that. I cannot even remember when we last saw a Daddy Long Legs. Side note: I really think it is so awesome that he is such a boy and wants to see dead spiders. No girly boy here!
  • After seeing the ripples in the water from my canon balls T asked if that is where all the waves in the lake come from. I explained that it is usually from the wind and from lots of boats. It did make me laugh to myself for a while thinking that there was a team of people (or one enormous person) doing canon balls at the lake to make the water choppy.

Who is Visiting?