T and A trying out one of the new tubes.
Cousins a tubin' togetherYesterday we spent most of the day playing outside, doing a little housework, and working in the garden. The kids did a lot of digging in the dirt, I feel like I did a lot more yard work. We fixed T's flat tire on his bike only to inflate the tire and have the tube explode. It even sent a tiny bit of tube shrapnel into the air. The kids thought that was pretty amazing that a tube can actually explode. No, I didn't overfill the tube, it must have had a weak spot. (I swear!)
Today, we woke up really early and went boating. Grandpa and Grandma even went on the boat (the first time this year)! All of the local cousins went as well. We tried out the new wake board (the other one got a little damaged at a youth church activity), and we used the new tubes. We had a single three person tube which was recently stolen. It was replaced with two, double seat tubes (I am sure if you can multiply that equals 4 people). The kids had a great time, and this was the first time that A rode in the tube without an adult or a much older cousin. She even sat down in the tube right in the water (anyone who remembers, knows that in the past the water has just been too cold for her and she would never be daring enough to go without a much bigger person). T and A rode in one tube together and their cousins rode in the other one. They thought it was pretty cool having the boat tow two tubes at once. Unfortunately there was an incident where A got quite the rope burn. There was a lot of slack in the line for their tube and the slack was almost out of the other tube's when the line ran right up her face. She got quite the terrible rope burn right on her cheek. Poor little girl! Other than that sad event, we all had a great time.
After we spent all morning boating we came home and rested a tiny bit. We then went to my high school reunion. They did a more formal one last night (I did not go) and they did a picnic one for graduates and their families at the park tonight. The kids met a lot of friends and I had some fun connecting with old friends. It is amazing how much some people have changed, and even more amazing how much some people have stayed the same. It was really a great time though and really neat to see so many of my former classmates and get to know their spouses and kids.
- I was playing and swimming with the kids on the beach for a tiny bit today. We were walking out and A really did not like the muddy sand in the water. I told her it was okay. Then all of the sudden she let out some blood curdling scream. I thought she hurt her foot on a rock, or something else. She started screaming, "An octopus is attacking me, it is trying to eat my foot!" She was quite convinced that what she was saying was true. I checked and told her that nothing was even getting her foot, and that everything was fine. I tried to calm her down. She didn't believe me. I told her that there are NO octopus in this lake. The screaming never stopped. Finally I realized that the algae had sort of been all around her foot. She was quite convinced that this was the octopus. I had a hard time not laughing as I carried her out of all the algae and away from the "octopus".


