the first FIVE years

Monday, August 18, 2008

Saturday, Sunday, Monday

This is one of the crafts T made for A.
This is a craft that A made for T, both of these were done completely independently.


T actually enjoys watching the TV this way every once in a while, don't ask me.
We had eclairs for our family night treat tonight. A loves them almost as much as I do. Why do I say almost? Well, first, no one loves them as much as me. Second, I would not let all that stuff on her hands and face miss MY mouth.
T is here kissing A's hand. Don't know where he learned that, but I guarantee it was not recently learned from me.



So, not a whole lot has been going on. I have been trying to recover from strep throat. I have been on anti-biotics for a while, so I have not been contagious to anyone else, but I have felt miserable. I actually have been known to get strep throat as many as 6 times in one winter. This however, is the worst I remember it ever being. Probably because in the past I have always caught it and recognized it really early. Most of the time I get strep throat and I usually never even spread it to my family. How weird is that? Anyway, so we have not done a ton this weekend. The kids have mostly played in the backyard with only a day or so at the park. Saturday night we went to Target to pick out a toy because the kids had earned some money. A chose an e-pets turtle and T chose a remote control helicopter. We spent a great deal of time playing with both, and especially liked when we had to get the helicopter off of the roof of the house once or twice. The kids have really enjoyed making crafts and presents for each other as well. We spent quite a bit of time in the garden checking out the baby pumpkins, searching really well for squash that is ready, and picking some tomatoes. The kids really love the garden, and I think all the things it teaches them are so worthwhile. Yesterday in Primary they learned about helping around the house with their mom and dad. T is loving the fact that there is now another boy in his class. I have started to take pictures (or scan) some of the pictures they draw, particularly from Primary. I would love to keep each one, but there is just no way. I figure I can at least save them some way. So, I will just post them here whenever I do a Sunday posting. After church all of their local cousins came over for dinner and to play. They had a great time and five of their cousins even came with us on our Sunday walk. It has been a fun weekend and as always, I was sad to drop them back off to their Mom's house tonight. School starts back up this week, so I am sure I will keep myself busy with that and work until Thursday night when they come back. It still stinks though. Other than that not much new to report, a little bit of Olympics here and there and that is about it.
This was A's primary picture this week.
This was T's primary picture this week.

  • T asked if he could marry my sister. I told him "gross, you can't marry your Aunt, why would you say that." He said, "well then I would not have to find her a boyfriend." My sister always teases all the Grand kids that they need to find her a rich, single, nice boyfriend. She follows up with them every so often too.
  • Someone (it doesn't really matter who) was trying to steer T's new helicopter away from the roof. It lost contact with the controller because it was too high and too far away. It ended up landing on the roof. A said, "wow Dad, way to go! You landed T's helicopter perfectly on the roof!" It was actually said sincerely. I really enjoy this time where you mess stuff up and they focus on the good. I am sure when they are teenagers, they will NOT be so kind.
  • I let the kids play learning games on PBSkids.org every once in a while. I was making tuna fish sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. By the time I had finished, T had lifted my laptop on his lap, turned it on, and open the Internet explorer. As I was making the sandwiches, he kept asking me what the name of the website over and over. He would ask me and then repeat it back, "what is that kids game website?" PBS kids. "P..B..S kids?" Yes. I could not see him, only hear him. He asked me three or four times, I later realized it was because he knew it was a favorite and he was making sure to click on the right one. I have never even taught him how to do any of this, but he has just learned from watching me. Unbelievable and really sort of scary!

Who is Visiting?