the first FIVE years

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bicycling and Bruises

WHAT A CHAMP!
Yesterday my sister rode in an 111 mile bike tour. They started at Thanksgiving Point at 7:30am and rode clear around Utah Lake, and then back to Thanksgiving Point. We decided to go down just before she finished and cheer for her at the finish line. A even made a drum to play when she came by (a plastic cup and a No. 2 pencil). One day I hope to be in that good of shape (and have a road bike), and then be able to accomplish that as well. She is so good to the kids and all the nieces and nephews, so they were really excited to see her "race". After we got home, the kids decided that they wanted to ride their bikes while I mowed the lawn. T learned the hard reality of what a flat tire is and how bad it stinks. I don't think he thought it was that cool, but for the most part he is pretty mellow when it comes to things just naturally happening.
Today we went to church and the kids were really good. T finally has another boy in his Sunbeam class (I believe there was only him and 4 girls, great odds when your 29 and single, not so cool when you're 4). The kids were really good all day in Sacrament other than we are still working on their volume level when they talk. The only funny thing was when I kept saying, "shuuuush" to the kids and reminding them to whisper. Finally T had heard enough and said, really loudly, "Dad, stop saying shush, shush, shush all the time! We are normal kids who need to talk." I just reminded him that it was okay to talk, but they needed to whisper. After the rain and hail subsided we went for our normal Sunday night walk. T was so thirsty and kept complaining about it, so we stopped at my brother and sister in law's house to get a drink of water. We ended up staying for a couple of hours and T ended up getting his first really good (bad?) black eye. Poor guy, he not only hit under his eye, but the edge of his eyelid too. At first he wanted to blame his cousin or the door, but after an hour or two he quietly told me, "I just need to watch where I am going, next time I will make sure to watch where I am going." I know that it was not some big deal, but I was so proud of him for taking responsibility. We live in a world where many adults want to blame everything that happens on something or someone else, and I was so proud that my 4 year old could own up to a mistake so well.

POOR GUY, LOOK AT THAT SHINER

Who is Visiting?