
The other day I was working a TINY bit in the garden and I found myself comparing gardening to raising kids. One might say that is because in both cases I have no idea what I am doing. I am not saying that is true, but I am not, not saying that is true either. Seriously though, I think that there are so many comparisons one could make. The soil must be prepared to grow plants, and you must prepare your home and your own personal "soil" to be effective in the life of your children. A garden must be weeded, and you must correct and maintain the behaviors of a child. You have to "weed" out the bad. Plants must be given care and nourishment to grow, and you really have to give love, care, and nourishment to a child. Snails or other harmful insects must be eliminated, and you have to do your best to keep your children safe. Really there are so many things that could be compared. If one takes care of a garden the right way, then great healthy plants, producing healthy fruit will be the reward. If one raises a child well, then the child (usually) produces good things as well.
All of this leads me wonder how I am doing as a parent. What am I doing to make sure that my "soil" (my home, my teachings, my example, etc.) is the best it can be? Do I ALWAYS give them a good home environment in which to learn and grow? What am I doing to help the kids learn the correct things, and to try to "weed" out the bad? I think the biggest thing is how often do I give the kids nourishment, and care? Do I constantly give them the "water and sunshine" required for them to grow in this life? Most people would just do their gardening and get on with their day. I apparently must have ADD because I think too much about each little task. This particular task caused a lot of reflection and evaluation in my mind of what I need to be as a father. In the end, I just hope that this garden (my home) gives the kids the love that they need to stand tall and produce the good things in life.


