the first FIVE years

Monday, August 25, 2008

A little and a lot

Sunday we did VERY little. In fact we didn't even make it to church because T was sick. We spent much of the day lounging around and watching movies and working to help him get better. They did quite a few crafts which is always fun. We went for our normal Sunday walk and T did not even get out of the wagon once the whole time. He just wanted to ride and relax. I hate it when the kids are sick. It makes me feel so bad that I can only help them to a small degree. I wish that I could make them all better. A was really helpful and kept getting T tisses and other things. It was really sweet. She kept saying, "awww, poor, poor T" every time she would look at him. He seems to be feeling way better today though and while he still has some coughs, he seems to have quite a bit more energy.

By comparison today I feel like I did a lot. The kids and I ran quite a few errands today. Then the kids went to their Mom's house at 3PM instead of the usual 8PM. I ended up taking the boat out with some friends. It was a ton of fun. It is so weird not to have the kids with me when I do activities like that. I kept looking around to make sure the kids were doing okay. I also kept thinking we needed to leave some time for tubing or else the kids would be disappointed. I have noticed that even when I am not with the kids, I still talk and think about them all the time. Everything I see or think of usually brings up a memory of the kids. It is amazing how as a parent your children are never far from your thoughts, prayers, and especially, your heart. Despite missing the kids (as I always do), I had a ton of fun with my friends and I have to admit it was nice to just have some adult time outside of work and school. We did a ton of wake boarding and skiing. My friends were awesome on the wake board and skis, and I am sure they had some fun. I am actually starting to jump the wake with some pretty good hang time (the landings are sometimes not perfect, my favorite was when I landed in a position I can only call the dive/belly flop, it was a mixture of the two, only my hands did not hit the water first, it felt amazing.......in a Mack truck kind of way). I had a really good time though and the water was even really smooth the whole time [I guess the group assigned to do canon balls at the lake have Mondays off (one of T's past comments)]. We stayed up there until it was completely dark and then headed to dinner. It was a lot of fun, we will have to take the boat out at least a couple more times before the warm weather is completely gone.

  • Today T stated that he had "THE MEANEST SISTER EVER!" What you might ask would spur on such a comment. She made him wait about 5 seconds to get a piece of tape while they were making crafts. I am thinking at that age everyone's view of siblings changes about every 5 minutes.
  • Today we went to Target to find a tube for T's bike. They did not have the right size, and so I explained to T that we would have to look somewhere else. He said, "Dad are you sure you even know what you are doing? Why don't you just ask somebody."

Who is Visiting?