Tonight for our date night, I took Ashley out to a play at the Desert Star Theater. We saw a hilarious play entitled "Snooty and the Beast" (we highly recommend it). It is obviously a parody on Beauty and the Beast, yet has SO much more stuff thrown in. At the end of our show, they also threw in a smaller performance of their own version of "Monster Mash," it too was hilarious. Judging by their titles, all their shows must be this way. This theater is such a fun place. You sit at a table and enjoy dinner as you watch the show. They had the most amazing California Veggie pizza. We definitely stuffed ourselves on it and couldn't believe how great it was. The show was hysterical and we were laughing almost non-stop. Towards the end of the show, and before "Monster Mash" was to start, they started recognizing people who were celebrating their birthday there this evening. As a group, we even sang to all of the birthday people. Next, they wanted to know who was visiting from out of town, or the farthest away. They then (jokingly) wanted to know who had come to the play for their Family Home Evening and what spiritual message they took away from it. All of this was done with a very fun atmosphere. They then asked who was celebrating an anniversary. No one in the audience raised their hand or yelled out. They were so shocked, so they wanted to know who was at least on a date there. Since we were on a date, we yelled out. Suddenly, the guy said, "oh, we do have a couple celebrating their anniversary!!" I looked around, wondering who he was talking about, when the spotlight hit us. I knew it was no use trying to explain his misunderstanding. They asked us to stand and slow dance while they played "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," followed by us having to kiss in front of everyone. We knew that trying to stay seated in a setting such as this would not only be futile, but make us look like cowards as well. The audience urged us on in what they thought was our responsibility. We stood and danced to the music, looking at each other and laughing the whole time and me knowing then and there that I would be creating a special blog post for this occasion. At the end of the song, I dipped her back and planted one on her. We then returned to our seats laughing at how on earth the guy messed that one up so badly. They then wanted to know what anniversary it was for us. We looked at each other and I finally held up my index finger to signify it was anniversary one (in my head, I was thinking that it was anniversary NEGATIVE ONE, but who needs to be so technical). I wondered what the audience must have thought as they may have seen our hands lacking any sort of wedding bands. After the play had ended, we worked our way back to the car. A young couple congratulated us and complimented us on our dancing skills. It was at this point that we made the conscious decision to celebrate our anniversary like any other, normal married couple would...............yes, that's right we drove around and talked and then I dropped her off at her house by 10:15PM so she wouldn't be tired for work. I should be offended that no one remembered our anniversary, especially our first one at that! The only people that seemed to care were a bunch of strangers in a theater. If I hadn't have had such a good time, it would be harder for me to forgive, but this time I am letting everyone off the hook. We also laughed about how funny it would have been if anyone in either of our wards or in our circle of friends would have been there for our "celebration." Alas, I still feel that it is special that I could share this most memorable anniversary with all of you.



