Today I went down to the kids' school for what they now call "Student Education Planning Conferences." In my day, it would have been called Parent-Teacher conferences. I actually like this type of a conference much better (other then they held them in the middle of the day, rather then at night). The new conferences include the teacher, the parents, AND the child meeting together. They discuss the needs of the child and how to best help them learn. We all set goals and sign a paper agreeing to do our part. We then measure how we have done and how the kids are doing at the next conference. One of the conferences was scheduled for 1PM. The other conference was scheduled for 3:45PM. The only problem with that is, their school is an hour away (one way) from where I live/work. I had to just hang out down there and find some stuff to do. I was just going to go for a drive up a canyon, but then my brakes started making the noise they make when they are completely worn out and scraping metal against metal. Coming down a canyon in that condition suddenly didn't seem like the safest thing. I instead shopped at Wal-Mart and AutoZone and then took a tiny nap. Overall, things went great. The teachers said really positive things about the kids. They have separate Kindergarten teachers, so we met with each of them individually.
Tinkerbell's teacher was very impressed with how much she loves to do school work. She wants to be involved in everything and is constantly loving every minute of school. She expressed that she was very smart and committed to school. She seems to want to help others to learn and is constantly looking for new challenges. She has learned a lot so far this year. Her teacher is great and the perfect fit for her.
McQueen's teacher is also great. She told us what a great helper he is and how smart he is as well. She told us that he will always be right there to help her do something. If the kids go out to play, he will help her push in the chairs others have left out. Both teachers commented on what a sweet brother he is to his sister. He really looks after her in a way that would make many girls jealous. He is smart and is learning a lot and is such a sweet little boy.
It was great to be involved in their very first SEP Conference and I look forward to many more. It is amazing to watch my tiny little kids learn and grow and quickly become not so tiny.


