In this world it seems that so much emphasis is placed on worldly wealth. Even as I compare my generation with my parent's generation, it sickens me. When did we arrive at a place where so many judge the quality of a person based on their worldly assets? That is about the farthest thing from what I have been taught. In the last six months I have had three friends who have lost their jobs, and one couple has just lost their house. My heart and prayers continually go out to each of them in this trying time. I think it is important to remember that circumstances only show WHERE someone is, and not WHO someone is. Circumstances do not account for the soul of a person, the depth of a person, or certainly the potential of a person. Yes, there are some cases where bad circumstances have been self-inflicted. Even in those cases, I believe that people can change and rise up. A person is only a failure if they stay down when they have fallen. One could say that I am only speaking as a person who doesn't have an amazing amount of stuff going for them. To that I would say that I know plenty of people who are a success, on every level, who feel the same way. Fortunately, I know those who are reading this probably feel the same way I do. Circumstances do not define a person, but rather, thoughts, feelings, and actions define each of us. Regardless of your circumstances, I am grateful for all of you my friends and for all that you have given, and continually give me. I wrote the following poem from some of the thoughts that have been on my mind.
I want you to know
what you do for work
doesn’t matter to me
it doesn’t matter if things are tough
or if you have lots of money
You aren’t required to live
in a huge house upon the hill
or go on an exotic vacation
through the mountains of Brazil
It doesn’t matter to me
if you have high levels of education
or if you feel your train has not
quite rolled into the station
The last thing that matters to me
is if you drive a beater
or if you have the means to afford
something a little sweeter
I am not concerned with your debt
or your credit score
or what designer labels I’d find
if I peeked in your clothing drawer
In the price of admission
of my friendship
these things are all for naught
when I look towards the important things
they don’t even deserve a thought
All that I require from those,
who may want to call me “friend”
is an honest try to be your best
to work at this until the end
Just say what you mean
and then mean what you say
help to lift the burdens
of people around you each day
Try not to criticize or judge
those you may happen by
realize that on this earth
“imperfect” is in abundant supply
I do not require perfection
I have flaws without a doubt
while I may slip from time to time
I try to walk the route
If this list does not seem like
a daunting task for you to do
I hope that you would call me “friend”
for I call you one too
what you do for work
doesn’t matter to me
it doesn’t matter if things are tough
or if you have lots of money
You aren’t required to live
in a huge house upon the hill
or go on an exotic vacation
through the mountains of Brazil
It doesn’t matter to me
if you have high levels of education
or if you feel your train has not
quite rolled into the station
The last thing that matters to me
is if you drive a beater
or if you have the means to afford
something a little sweeter
I am not concerned with your debt
or your credit score
or what designer labels I’d find
if I peeked in your clothing drawer
In the price of admission
of my friendship
these things are all for naught
when I look towards the important things
they don’t even deserve a thought
All that I require from those,
who may want to call me “friend”
is an honest try to be your best
to work at this until the end
Just say what you mean
and then mean what you say
help to lift the burdens
of people around you each day
Try not to criticize or judge
those you may happen by
realize that on this earth
“imperfect” is in abundant supply
I do not require perfection
I have flaws without a doubt
while I may slip from time to time
I try to walk the route
If this list does not seem like
a daunting task for you to do
I hope that you would call me “friend”
for I call you one too


