the first FIVE years

Friday, March 6, 2009

Passing it Down the Line

Today Tinkerbell wanted to help me with everything. She was such an amazing helper. The kids are required to clean their rooms, keep their toys picked up, put their clothes in the correct dirty hamper, etc. Basically anything else is extra. Early this morning I washed all the bedding for our three beds. Tinkerbell helped me do the dishes, make the beds, vacuum, and put a TON of stuff away for me. As we made the beds, I taught her how to do hospital corners, and she was so excited to tell everyone. She loved how it makes a triangle before you tuck in the bottom part. After, we vacuumed. They both have vacuumed plenty, but I figured it was time to show them the best way to vacuum. I call it no trace vacuuming. I start at the inner most part of the room and vacuum in a way that makes the carpet have a nice pattern to it. I slowly back my way out of the room, vacuuming all the way. Then, when I am done, I can see I have gotten everywhere and there are no footprints (that lasts anywhere from 10-29 seconds). She did a great job. It was so much fun to do all of that stuff with my little princess. Nothing like a little Daddy/Daughter time. We cleaned and had a lot of fun together, all the while passing these "hidden secrets" on to the next generation.
McQueen is still feeling awful. He has been sick with the croup since last weekend, and now he has to have nebulizer treatments. Poor little guy, it makes me so sad to see them sick. He has mostly just rested today. He is feeling awful and does not have anywhere near his normal energy level. I am sure he will feel better soon though. While Tinkerbell and I made quite a Dynamic Duo, we both know that is not who we are. We can't wait until McQueen is feeling better so that we can be the Three Amigos again.

Here is Tinkerbell's very first hospital corner. She did this one all by herself.........well, I did lift up the mattress for her. She didn't have a Powerbar this morning, so she was feeling a little weak, but otherwise.......


Tinkerbell is sitting on her freshly made bed with a few friends, proud of the work she has accomplished

From last week:

  • The kids were jumping on McQueen's bed. They wouldn't seem to listen, so I took the mattress and box spring off the bed frame and stacked them against the wall. He asked if I would put them back. I said, "no, because you guys have shown me that you can't stop jumping on them." He said, "we won't, we just really like to look at our beds a lot."
  • Last week we played "Go Fish" with my parents and sister. I can't ever remember playing with the kids and now I wonder why. To start, we played with them in teams so they could learn the game. There were numerous things said by the kids during this game. 1. Both of them kept saying "gold fish!" instead of "Go Fish!" for a while. 2. When they would draw a card, they would whisper to their teammate a little too loudly what card they had just drawn. 3. I thought I taught McQueen how to say, "read them and weep!" whenever we laid down a completed set. When the time came for him to repeat the phrase I whispered, it was, "read them and WINK!"
  • Later that same evening, my sister asked McQueen for a hug. His response was "GO FISH!"
  • It was McQueen's turn to choose a movie to watch. Tinkerbell kept trying to persuade him to choose the one she wanted. He said, "sorry to burst your bubble, but we are not going to watch that." I really have no idea where he learned that from.

From Today:

  • When the kids came back from their Mom's, it was cold. Instead of wearing her coat, Tinkerbell was just holding it. I said, "wow, it is cold out here, how come you are not wearing your coat?" She responded that it wasn't cold until I came out there. I laughed and said, "What? You think I can make it cold just by walking outside? Do you think I control the weather?" She said, "you are so silly Daddy, you do not control the weather..........the weatherman does!"
  • The kids were playing Mariokart on the Wii tonight with their cousins. One cousin kept telling the other cousin that he knew a shortcut. The other cousin then asked, "what is a shortcut?" but really meaning "where is a shortcut?" Tinkerbell responded in textbook form. She said, "a shortcut is a better or quicker way to get to a place." Did I mention she said this to her older cousin?"
  • I was doing something, and could not respond to Tinkerbell immediately as she asked me a question. She shouted, "HEY BIG GUY, I AM TALKING TO YOU!"

Who is Visiting?