the first FIVE years

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Taking the Big Plunge

We started off the morning by running errands. We picked up the cakes that the kids ordered for their birthday at Macey's. I let the kids look through the book and decide on whatever cake they wanted. They both wanted something different than they have ever had before. T chose a Star Wars cake, although he has never seen any of the movies. A chose what I can only call a "flower power" cake. She chose it because it had flowers and everything, but it also had a "Ladybug" on it. As we were checking out a lady came up to us with a basket full of kazoos. Apparently today was national kazoo day (DANG! I forgot to mark it on my calendar again?!!). She gave each of the kids a kazoo which made our errand running the rest of the morning a real treat. So, HAPPY NATIONAL KAZOO DAY EVERYONE!!!

After running the final errands we went to the Chili Open. This is a charity golfing event. Grandpa's rotary club has done this event for as long as I can remember and he has always been heavily involved. You can golf in the snow with orange golf balls, participate in activities inside the barn, and eat a ton of good chili. The best part is all the proceeds go to several different charities.


We left the Chili Open just in time to make it to the recreation center to set everything up for T and A's birthday party. This weekend worked out a lot better than the one right after their birthday, so we waited a little bit. I think all of the kids had a great time being together, eating cake, and most of all swimming and playing in the water. My kids LOVED it, and especially loved that everyone was with them. The kids also got VERY spoiled by everyone with way too many nice presents (even though the invitation sort of said not to bring any:) ). Below are some pictures of T & A, their cakes, their friends, and their cousins that all celebrated with us.

"Look at me!" "You want a piece of me?"

Just hanging out




A's birthday cake

T's cake, complete with twisty candles





  • A was walking all funny today and I asked her what was wrong. She said, "Daddy you don't know what it is like to be a girl. Sometimes I have to pull my swimsuit right out of my bum."
  • T was not paying attention and ran right into the back of his friend's Mom. She apologized (although she'd done nothing wrong), and as he ran off, he said, "whoa, that was weird."

Who is Visiting?