the first FIVE years

Monday, January 12, 2009

Baskeball/Bulbs/Big Blankets

BASKETBALL
This morning started out with us rushing out the door to get T to basketball. The community center where we used to live has different sports throughout the year for young kids. This month: my favorite, basketball. It is more of a clinic, with teams that rotate between six stations in a gym. At the end they get to play a game of basketball with one of the other teams. T was actually a member of the Utah Jazz team. He only had a one in six chance, and luckily the Jazz must have drafted him. Luckily these little kids can travel and double dribble to their hearts content in the games. You will have to forgive the blurry pictures and video. They were all taken with my phone; like a dope, I forgot my regular camera. T is the one clear over in the blue. Check out that shot. His shooting percentage really had to be close to 80% from anywhere on the court [up to 5 feet :) ]
It's good!

Check out that arch! Oh, yes, this too went in the net my friends.
T slamming it home right over a defender. Each kid took a turn playing offense and defense at this station. The funniest thing happened right after T had his turn. There was a taller kid guarding a shorter kid. Every time the shorter kid would go up for a shot, the big kid's hand was on the other side of the ball. Finally the little kid got frustrated and slammed the basketball into the big kids stomach. When the big kid doubled over in pain, the short kid shot it right over him. I love four year old boys! Okay, while my kids would have been in huge trouble for something like that, I thought it was completely hilarious when someone else's kid did it. Too bad I wasn't recording then.
A was bored at first, but was soon content with a licorice rope in one hand and a lemonade in the other. She used the logic that every time she is at dance, T gets a drink, so we should probably buy her one too.
Here is a shotty (no pun intended) video of T working his magic.


BULBS
After we came home from basketball, it was lunch time. I fixed the kids lunch, put in some laundry, and then started taking down all the Christmas lights, tree and other decorations. Yes, I know it is twelve days after New Year's, but this is the first chance I have had. Plus, this is the first time the weather has been nice enough when I have had the time to take down the outside lights. So, after the labors of the day, we are officially scrooged out until Thanksgiving.


BIG BLANKETS
So, Monday just happens to be my usual laundry day.
  1. Load of colored clothes for kids-check
  2. Load of whites for kids-check
  3. Load of colored clothes for me-check, check
  4. Load of whites for me-check
  5. Load of sheets for kids beds-check
  6. Load of sheets for my bed-check

That only leaves the huge comforters that don't really fit in our washer and dryer. It is not that we have a smaller than average washer and dryer, but maybe larger than average comforters. This is not helped by the fact that we each sleep on a queen sized bed. If anyone out there has some huge front load washer and dryer and they're about to leave a comment, I would say you probably have about as many friends as someone who talks about their size 15 feet all the time.............I am just saying. It is up to you if you want to be categorized with those kind of people. So, every couple of weeks I take these behemoths (the blankets, not my feet; Okay well my feet take the blankets technically, but I digress) down to the laundry mat and spend ten bucks washing and drying them. Luckily there is a laundromat really close to the gym. After I took the kids back to their Mom's tonight I loaded up my comforters, laundry soap (incidentally I would have loved to have been pulled over with a white powdery substance in a Ziploc bag on my front seat tonight, oh what a story that would make!), and quarters, completing the look in my workout attire and headed on down. I loaded them up, put the soap and quarters in and then went to the gym. 30 minutes later I was back to throw them in the dryer. Then it was back to the gym again. 20 minutes later I was back to check the finished result. One was not quite dry, so more quarters, and back to the gym. Finally a few minutes later, I folded them all, put them in the car, and then I was off to the gym again. The front desk people at the gym kept looking at me like I was the most retarded person in the world. Finally, just for fun, I apologized as I told them I had a huge personal problem (those blankets are huge, and personal, and them being dirty is a problem) I had to take care of, but I did not want to miss my workout, so that is why I was coming in and out so much. Saying I had laundry at the laundromat would be so much more boring, and would not even make them wonder. While I am sure they still thought I was an idiot (definitely not the first ones), I was pretty proud of my multi-tasking, quarter-popping abilities tonight.

Who is Visiting?