the first FIVE years

Monday, May 26, 2008

My House is Perfect

A did great helping me put away the dish rags today
T did a great job helping me vacuum the stairs
Okay, so that may sound like a little bit of an arrogant statement for the title to a blog posting, but I am afraid to say it is true. It may not mean what you are thinking though. The house is often the farthest thing from immaculate. We do not always do everything that we are supposed to exactly when we are supposed to do it, but when we are together things are perfect. You can see that A did not put the towels away perfectly. T did a pretty good job, but did not get every single tiny thing off of the stairs when he vacuumed, but they tried. They also helped with many more things throughout the day. I love that they are so willing to help and that they try to do what is right. I am not trying to make them sound like something they are not. They throw fits (often times in church or other VERY public places), don't listen, fight, etc., but they are such great kids and I love them. Tonight as I was tucking T in I was reminded of what was important. We spent most of the day simply cleaning the house since it got a little neglected with our travels and the outside work. We were a tiny bit late going to bed, so after prayers I was just rushing the kids to sleep. T said "Dad, could you read me a story?" I said, "not tonight, we need to get right to sleep, we have a lot going on in the morning and it is really late." T simply responded, "okay, Dad, I love you." After a few minutes of them being in bed, I realized once again what was important. I went back in his room and had him lay on my shoulder while I read him a story. Then I went in A's room and did the same thing. We were busy all day long, and really what is important at the end of the day is not the housework, the laundry, the dishes, etc. It is not important that we don't have a ton of money, what clothes we wear, the car we drive, or anything else. We have been blessed with all that we NEED. What is important is sometimes bending the rules to read my kids a story. I think I need to make sure I realize the important things more and more often. Kids are only little for so long, and it goes by so fast. Now I have even less time with them then before. So, I want to take advantage of every moment.

Who is Visiting?