the first FIVE years

Monday, May 19, 2008

Co-Conspirators

Alright, so people always tell me how cute and innocent my kids are. I of course know they are good kids and take it as a compliment, but don't let them fool you. Underneath that cute, angelic facade of looks, personality, charm, sweetness, thirst for knowledge and general innocence lies two of the worlds greatest co-conspirators. One may ask what I am talking about. Well, after feeding the kids their breakfast I decide to go down and take a shower. I turn them on a short show on the TV to keep them occupied. When I come back up the stairs I see both of the with their chairs practically sitting on top of each other at the table. Neither is saying a word and they seem a little hunched over the table. I come around the front of them to see them shoveling some sort of substance into their mouth as if it were some sort of Olympic sport (because really Dad could come up the stairs at any moment). I quickly figure out that the cake leftovers that we had for dessert after Sunday dinner seems to have disappeared. There were at least 3 or 4 pieces worth when I went down to the shower. I asked them what they were doing. With star struck eyes and the sweetest voice she could muster A says, "Ummmmm....we were just eating the cake that you gave us Daddy." I asked, "the cake I gave you?" To which she responded, "Yeah, remember you gave us some yesterday." I said, "well did I give you THOSE pieces?" She said, "you gave us the whole cake silly." I responded "ohh, T what are you doing?" He stares straight into A's eyes for about 8 seconds before responding, "just eating the cake you gave us." Okay, okay, so I laughed and let them off the hook and just said to please ask next time. I mean after all it was a fairly creative explanation, and the cake was not really for anything. Secretly I love it when they are co-conspirators as long as no one gets hurt and as long as they don't make some sort of disastrous mess. So, I have no more cake (I really shouldn't eat it anyway, so they're really doing me a favor), but I do have a big smile in my heart as I laugh and think of my sweet little co-conspirators.




Who is Visiting?