the first FIVE years

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Primary Program

Today in Sacrament Meeting was our annual Primary Program. It was a great program that centered on Eternal Families. McQueen and Tinkerbell each were given a part where they talked about how their Dad strengthens their family and then how they strengthen their family. The both did great on their parts. The Primary Presidency and teachers were fantastic in getting all of this organized and planning it out for everyone. They were so kind and patient with all of the kids and really did a tremendous job. All the kids worked really hard as well and really practiced a lot and gave it their all. I was really proud of McQueen and Tinkerbell and really excited to see their Primary Program. They ended up doing a great job. They sang the songs, did their parts, etc. I must say that it did not come without incident though. The Primary was practicing just before Sacrament. Their teacher got me out of Sunday School because McQueen had become scared that he would have to do his part in front of the whole ward. He ran out of the chapel and they could not find him. I frantically searched everywhere and within ten minutes, he was afraid to be in trouble, so he came back into the chapel. I talked to him and he expressed his fears. I asked him what would make it better. I thought for sure he would ask for a new toy or something. Instead, he wanted to call Ashley to make sure she would be there and said that would make him feel better. He also had to make sure we were sitting closely to him, where he could see us. Tinkerbell, on the other hand, was born to perform. I think she loves the excitement of it all and loves to share her talents. In the end, they both did a great job.

As with any Primary parent, you watch your kids like a hawk at these things. Since we were sitting on the second row, it was easy to do. I felt like I was giving the "stern look" to my kids almost the whole program. I was also folding my arms, and they would get the hint to do likewise. I even pulled out my finger snap once or twice. I think things like this have to be treated carefully though. I feel that as a parent you should be doing as much as you reasonably can from the audience to keep your kids in line during the program. After the program is over though (unless your child has killed someone), you just need to heap on lots of praise. They have worked really hard, are bored, are used to playing with toys, having treats, etc. during Sacrament Meeting. I think it really takes a lot out of them at that age and you must appreciate that and help them see the good they have created. So, here are plenty of moments I was either correcting the kids, or putting my head down to laugh hysterically so they wouldn't see me during the program:
  • McQueen wears one of those zip up ties. It was hanging down, so I motioned for him to zip it up. He looked at me funny and then took it completely off. I then motioned for him to put it back on. He did, albeit, totally crooked with his collar muffled all over the place. The Primary President was nice enough to sneak up there and fix it for him.
  • When their class was supposed to stay standing after a class solo, most of the kids (including McQueen sat down). Tinkerbell (not very quietly) told all the other kids that they are supposed to stay standing. Her words even included a "McQueen, you are supposed to stay standing, get back up here !"
  • McQueen is very sweet to Tinkerbell. He will often even give her kisses on the cheek. After Tinkerbell did her part, he leaned over to give her a kiss. She turned funny and he ended up kissing her eye. She once again (not so quietly) said, "McQueen, why did you kiss my eye?!!" He (actually quietly) explained what had happened.
  • This year the kids sang this cool new "I Am a Builder" song (don't ask me what it's called). Just before the song, McQueen slouched down in his chair and pretended to be asleep. I thought he would get up when all the other kids stood up. NOPE. I thought he would get up again when the piano started to play. Nope. I thought he would get up again when all the kids started singing. Nope. He just sat there, pretending to be asleep......until...they started doing the actions. No, that didn't cause him to get up. He sat there pretending to be asleep and then started doing the actions to the song "in his sleep." When he heard laughter, he only smirked and continued with his sleep actions. He only got up and sang the last part of the song after hearing my fingers snap. I would have snapped them sooner, but I was ducking my head for obvious reasons.
  • Tinkerbell for some weird reason kept pulling her dress off of her shoulders and exposing her bare shoulders. I don't know if she was hot or what, but I have never seen her do that before. I thought it especially inappropriate in that setting.
  • Our Primary pianist, is an amazing musician. During one point in the practice the day before, all the kids were getting bored. He started to play the theme from Star Wars and Indiana Jones and a few other favorites to keep the kids together. The kids all loved it. During the real program, McQueen wanted to whisper to me to see if I remembered when he did that and how cool it was.
  • The night before, Tinkerbell hurt her middle finger (I am sure we all know which one). During a quiet time in the program, she raised only that middle finger and pointed to it with her other hand. She was showing Ashley and I that it still hurt. Yes, my innocent child flipped off our whole ward.
  • While singing the last song, McQueen raised his suit coat up like he was Batman or something. I snapped my fingers for him to put it down. He then moved his tie back and forth in front of his eyes. I snapped again. At that point, he decided he was done and sat down for the rest of the song. I think he thought I was getting after him sometimes when he was not doing anything wrong, when I was really getting after Tinkerbell. Since they were sitting right next to each other, I am sure it was hard to differentiate.

In the end, the kids did their parts, sang their songs, and worked hard. We were proud of them and took a lot of solace in the fact that all the kids were doing one thing or another here and there. You just notice every little thing with your own kids that much more. Since the program, we have only quietly laughed about all the incidents when the kids aren't around. In their presence we only talk of the great job they did and how proud they truly made us. They are great kids and we love them so much.

Who is Visiting?