Today we went to the zoo. I have to tell you that we have fun at the zoo, but our zoo is not a spectacular zoo by any means. They are trying to fix that by really updating it, but right now it is not that much different then it was twenty or more years ago. But, this trip to the zoo was probably the most eventful one I have EVER had!

Ashley and Tinkerbell on the carousel

My two favorite girls

A Mommy snow-leopard with her new baby. They were sort of hiding in the brush, so I had to reach clear out and take this picture blindly. (baby #1)

Two of three new baby tigers

All three new baby tigers. One off to the left and two wrestling. There was one cute baby tiger who loved to antagonize the others and playfully wrestle with them (including the Mommy tiger). If McQueen were ever magically turned into a tiger, it would be that one. (babies # 2, 3, &4)

Baby giraffe resting comfortably while Mom and Dad stand near the garage doors (baby #5)

Zuri, the baby elephant (the baby we actually came to see, and the only one we could see that had a name). (baby #6)

I am not normally a sap. I like to think of myself as a sort of macho, yet sensitive, male. I rarely find a use for the word cute. Having said all of that, this baby elephant is about as cute as it gets. It was so fun watching this thing. It seriously is something you would love to take home as a puppy, but never keep into adulthood (squashed house anyone?)

It was "career day" at the zoo. This girl apparently is one of the caretakers for the giraffes (among other things). After seeing what she was holding, I started to wonder how much effort she really puts in at her job. I hope this is not one of the giraffes she cared for. It is an actual skull from a giraffe. I was really quite amazed by it. I think it would be even more impressive though if she was carrying around a giraffe neck the next time we go.
So, the baby tally that we saw was 6 new babies. Here the zoo is only advertising the baby elephant and they have a ton of other new babies. I thought watching the baby tigers interact was by far the most entertaining thing. We heard rumors that there were ten species of animals that had given birth since July. While we didn't find all of them (and I am sure some of them are some special species of butterfly or something), but it had to be the best visit to the zoo I have probably ever had. I never remember ONE baby being born at this zoo when I was a kid. Now they have at least six? I recommend checking it out if you have the time before these babies grow up or move away to another zoo.