When I was born my Daddy came
to be right by Mommy’s side
As I entered so small, into this world
As I entered so small, into this world
their love could never hide
They held me close and they both cried
They held me close and they both cried
as happy as could be
They had been blessed with their first child
They had been blessed with their first child
in their little family
A couple of days, and I got to see
A couple of days, and I got to see
the door to our little house
Daddy was there, always taking care
Daddy was there, always taking care
of me and his sweet spouse
He showed me love as he held me close
He showed me love as he held me close
within his big strong arm
I smiled at Dad, as he looked down on me
I smiled at Dad, as he looked down on me
I felt safe from any harm
He loves both of us so much I thought
He loves both of us so much I thought
within my growing mind
He waits on her, he’s there for me;
He waits on her, he’s there for me;
he is always so gentle and kind
Then after a week of this sweet bliss
Then after a week of this sweet bliss
confusion starts to set in
Daddy is leaving, his bags all packed
Daddy is leaving, his bags all packed
a frown has replaced his grin
He holds me close just one last time
He holds me close just one last time
and then kisses my little head
I look at Mommy, as he holds her close;
I look at Mommy, as he holds her close;
her eyes are so wet and red
Then one last kiss, for both of us
Then one last kiss, for both of us
as he walks out our front door
Where is he going? We need him so much
Where is he going? We need him so much
Why must HE fight the war?
Mommy tries to explain to me,
Mommy tries to explain to me,
his sacrifice so true and so brave
Freedom he protects for us here
Freedom he protects for us here
and other people he tries to save
Times are tough all while he’s gone;
Times are tough all while he’s gone;
we miss him so very much
Hearing him from a phone far away
Hearing him from a phone far away
never compared with his touch
Both of my parents sacrifice so much
Both of my parents sacrifice so much
for people they don’t even know
I realize my Daddy can’t be here
I realize my Daddy can’t be here
to be with me as I progress and grow
The question comes as I think:
The question comes as I think:
Daddy could die from the bombs and debris
I now know those who sacrifice all
I now know those who sacrifice all
are the ones who make freedom free
My only hope is people can serve
My only hope is people can serve
their families while they are away
Remembering the soldier and the family
as we exercise our right to pray


