the first FIVE years

Monday, October 20, 2008

Buying and Baking

Today the kids and I ran a bunch of errands. The thing that stinks about running errands is there always seems to be less money in your bank when you are done. Unless of course all you are doing is making bank deposits (sadly, not the case with me). While we were at Target we found a new learning game for their computer (a while back I bought them an old desktop that they can play learning games on), which is supposed to help to prepare the kids for Kindergarten. They seemed to really enjoy the games and it seemed like they were learning a lot. It is laid out well enough that I only needed to check on them. I did not have to hover over them to show them how to do everything. It had plenty of voice instruction. By the end of their 30 minute (each) session, they were starting to spell words and they were working on addition. I cannot believe that I am a Daddy to almost 5 year old twins. I used to think it was so stupid when people would say how quickly kids grow up. I guess it is something you cannot see and feel until you are in the situation. In the afternoon the kids and I made regular and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They turned out okay, but don't go thinking I am some gourmet chef. It is just really fun to do with the kids. I think oatmeal chocolate chip cookies may be my favorite. As always the kids were so eager to help and be involved. The one thing they always want to do more than anything else is help crack the eggs open. Needless to say, I still give quite a bit of hands on supervision with that one. Every time we have made cookies, they are so interested in the baking process of the first batch. They turn the light on for a few seconds and peek at them. Then they go play and come back and do it some more. They are such cute little characters.

  • This afternoon the kids and I were talking to someone. They said that something made them so sad that it was like someone stabbing them in the heart with a knife. T thought that was hysterical and began laughing so hard as he questioned them about what they had said.
  • We were walking around the neighborhood and started getting close to the "busy street" by our house. I told A she was too far away and needed to come back and hold my hand. As she was coming back, T said, "yeah or else a car could go eerrrrccchhh and then make us go spplattt! " I swear those were his exact sound effects. He then started laughing at his joke. I honestly do not even know where they learn some of this stuff (although that doesn't stop me from laughing at it).

Who is Visiting?