the first FIVE years

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Firepits and Pitfalls

FIRE PIT
This weekend, we had some fun hanging out with some friends. On Saturday night, we hung out with our friends Kelly and Stacey. They have access to some beautiful land with a fire pit. We roasted hot dogs, and made s'mores. We just hung out and talked and played around the fire. We also tried to figure out what the possible ingredient could be that makes marshmallows burn like a gallon of gasoline. As I read all of the ingredients I came across "tetrasodium pyrophosphate." At the end of the evening, the consensus was that since the last word of the ingredient contained "pyro" in it, it must be the flammable ingredient. While we were sitting around the fire, I kept asking everyone what the rustling in the brush was. They kept thinking I was joking............until two big (much bigger when you can't see more than five feet away) horses came jaunting up to our cozy fire. We all had a great night, and enjoyed every minute of our awesome fire and "campfire stories."
PITFALLS
Right after work on Monday, a couple of my friends from work (including the aforementioned Kelly-pictured below) went with us boating. We got to the lake just after 5PM, since I drove the car and boat into work that morning. We had really nice water/weather the whole time. There was a TINY bit of wind at first, but it only made little ripples along the water. There were the usual idiots out driving their boats like, well..........idiots, but overall it was great. My entire life most idiotic boat driving was related to alcohol. After driving in a car so much, I am starting to wonder if the boat drivers are really just texting instead. Picture it, a skier with a waterproof phone is probably skiing along just a little too fast for comfort. The driver's phone beeps, and suddenly the boat driver announces that the skier would like to go 5 MPH slower. Ugh! Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike the over use of texting? Soon the good old hand signals of thumb down for slower, thumb up for faster will go the way of the Atari.
As I said, the conditions were not at all bad the whole time we were at the lake. Just when we thought it couldn't get better, 7:45PM rolled around. Many of the boats started pulling off the lake. The wind went completely still, and we were left all to ourselves in the deep channel of Jordanelle Reservoir. The water and scenery could not have been more beautiful as the sun was setting upon it. We took full advantage of the beautiful conditions. We wake boarded and skied until I had to hold my ski high above my head for the boat to find me in the water. We then just cruised the entire length of the lake. It was so beautiful and peaceful to glide across the smooth water with only the pale moonlight glowing on the water's surface. If I could have, I might have stayed out there all night long. We all had a really great time.
Kelly, or as I like to think of him.........Gilligan :)

Bryce-The Professor

The view as the sun was disappearing for the night



This video contains wake boarding at its finest. You cannot find skills like this anywhere. I saved the best for last. I am not trying to brag, but let's just say that not everyone could pull off the move I did at the end of this video. I jumped a little bit sooner then my board hit the wake. Luckily I recovered just in time to do the sweetest maneuver ever! I was really proud of myself! I have watched the video numerous times over to figure out how I made what could have been a disaster, a thing of beauty.

Who is Visiting?