the first FIVE years

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Surgery and Recovery

I made it through my very first surgery just fine. I went into surgery in the afternoon of June 24th. I was not too nervous for the surgery itself. I was only nervous because I have never been under general anesthesia before. I had no idea how my body would respond. I also heard horror stories of the stuff people say when they come out of anesthesia. I was actually quite coherent when I came out of surgery. I remember asking the nurse if I could just sleep a little longer. The guy next to me was not so fortunate. He was babbling like crazy. He kept saying stuff about lollipops and his childhood home and stuff. I remember asking the nurse if they had any earplugs. It was not purely because of this guy, but also because of the general noise all around. She found me a semi-private recovery room not too much after that, and I slept for another hour or so. When I came home, I felt pain, but it wasn't overbearing. I actually made a couple of phone calls too. They told my Mom that I could not eat anything for 48 hours; not because of the surgery, but because they apparently had to use so much anesthesia to get me under that if I ate anything for the next couple of days, I would become VERY sick. The recovery went well too. I won't lie and say that I wasn't in pain, but as long as I seemed to keep my throat wet (however painful that was), it was manageable. I had to put fluids in my mouth (including water) then build the courage up to gulp them down. I talked like a retard (yes, even more so than usual) for about a week and a half. Last of all, I got quite comfortable in a recliner for about a week and a half as well. I took pain meds for the first couple of days, but quickly cut them back, and then stopped them completely. I know some people love that "high" that they get and love the "relaxed" feeling. I don't like it at all. I like feeling like I am completely in control. I also think that the pain was more manageable for me because of the week previous to the surgery. In connection with that, I also have had strep so much that I am used to throat pain. I think this definitely aided me in the recovery. Since I wasn't taking the pain meds, I decided to go back to work six days after the surgery (on light duty), even though everyone told me I would for sure have to take the two weeks off and some people said a month. I went for my follow up appointment today and I am 80% healed and should be 100% within the next ten days or so. He also told me that they looked at them, and also dissected them. He told me that had me that if we had not removed them, I would have had a lot of long sicknesses. Things would have only become worse. After the week before the surgery, I would have to definitely think he was being nothing but honest. It only now hurts if I sneeze, or if I stretch my mouth like you would to yawn. I learned quite a few things throughout this recovery though. I learned that given the right circumstances, Jamba Juice and Sonic Drive-in (their slushes) can be closer friends then they normally are. I learned that ice cream must only be a kid tonsillectomy thing, because it was not cool for me. I learned that the "designer" Popsicles must contain less sorbic acid or something because the generic twin pops (especially the banana) felt like they contained pure acid. I learned that while blue Gatorade can often feel good and help in the healing process, blue Powerade does not feel the same (minus the aforementioned Sonic slushes). I learned that being really sick with throat discomfort and then throat surgery is not all bad.....especially when it alleviates you of thirty pounds you can do without. I also once again realized how grateful I am for a wonderful family and friends who are always supportive and helpful to me.


Now I feel obligated to talk about the doctor and surgery. This is in no way a commercial for him, just information to anyone who may need a similar procedure. I went to Dr. Bryan Tagee in Salt Lake. I did not know him from Adam before I went there, but I am very impressed. He was recommended to me by my primary care doctor. He is an excellent, knowledgeable, surgeon/doctor. He also has a great, friendly personality and great bedside manner. He uses a different technique than many doctors out there. I guess there are three major techniques for removing tonsils. One is to simply cut them out (which also involves electrocautery). The next is to use pure electrocautery (burn the suckers off, involving temperatures up to 400 degrees C!!!). The third is what Dr. Tagge used. It is a procedure called coblation. He estimates that in Utah, only roughly 30% of doctors use this technique. If I understand correctly, they send radio frequency waves through ionized saline and this just makes the cell bonds detach and dissolve. There is virtually no bleeding whatsoever. According to the Internet the highest temperature reached in this technique is 80 degrees C. Therefore, there also is not the thermal damage all around the healthy tissue from the electrocautery. I think this procedure is amazing, but as I said, only about 30% of doctors are using it. I have not had many of the horrific side effects that so many told me they had/I would have, prior to my surgery. I also do not believe that I have had the same level of pain that others have had. I asked Dr. Tagge why he felt more doctors weren't using it. He told me that he actually campaigns other doctors TO use it. He said that you have to perform the surgery 15 or so times to feel comfortable, and most doctors quit after 5 or so. So, having heard that, here is what I am thinking. Let me get this straight: Some doctor is too freaking lazy to learn a new technique and therefore the patient has to suffer higher levels of pain and discomfort, coupled with possibly more pain meds, missed time from work, and return to normal life. Gee, sure am glad I am one to the lucky 30%!!!! Let me just bluntly say that those doctors sound like jerks. With Dr. Tagge's permission I included a video of him doing the procedure (not mine, but I wish it was). For those of you who do not have a weak stomach, check it out. The whole video/procedure is only 8 or 9 minutes. Also, if anyone needs a great ear, nose, and throat specialist for any reason, or needs their tonsils removed, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Tagge. Strep, we have had a long, on-going friendship, but I think you have used and abused me in our relationship. Here is to hoping that I NEVER see, feel, or hear from you again.

Who is Visiting?