the first FIVE years

Thursday, June 18, 2009

It Can't Wait One Week?

I am all scheduled to have my tonsils and adenoids removed Wednesday June 24th. I have had this appointment for over a month now. On Sunday, the 7th I got strep once again. I was really ticked because I figured I was so close to the surgery that I should not get strep anymore. At the time, I talked the doctor into giving me enough antibiotics to last me up until surgery. He was more than happy to oblige. Fast forward to yesterday. I have been taking the medicine exactly as I should for the last ten days. I have slowly just felt worse, not better. I felt like my throat was closing off, my body ached, and if anyone has had a more difficult time swallowing, I pity them with every fiber of my being. I went to the doctor. Here's the verdict: Apparently my body has developed a resistance to the antibiotics, so they were not killing the strep at all. Because of all of this, my tonsils have started to swell (and even bleed a little) to the point that it is starting to close off my throat. So, he gave me a shot of a really strong antibiotic. He then gave me another antibiotic in pill form. Finally, he gave me a steroid to bring down the swelling in my tonsils. SERIOUSLY?!!!! I am a week away from the surgery and my tonsils decide to pull this? They really are sick; in every sense of the word! I have never thought I could be so excited to have surgery in my life, but I am. All of this is ridiculous! To anyone who gets strep more than 4 times in one year or 6 times in two years, every ENT in the country will recommend you have your tonsils removed. Also, unlike what past doctors have told me, the size of your tonsils really has nothing to do with the medical decision to have them removed. Apparently the more you get strep the worse the procedure could possibly be because strep leaves scar tissue. This is all information that would have been helpful to me for, oh, I don't know, the last EIGHT YEARS!! Therefore, I am passing it along. If you do have to get your tonsils removed, look for an ENT who removes them through the process of coblation, as opposed to one who cuts them out or burns them off. After watching some videos, it seems like a way better alternative.

Who is Visiting?