the first FIVE years

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday
This weekend we had a great time. We spent Friday running errands, including getting our car emission/safety tested and registered (what a fun thing to spend money on!). We fixed a few tiny things around the house, and then had some Little Caesar's pizza for dinner.

Saturday
We went to a birthday party for one of T and A's really good friends. We all had a great time. They had a swimming party with pizza and cupcakes. I especially enjoyed watching T entertain the entire group of kids with his antics while they were eating pizza. We had so much fun that it was hard for us to leave. We ran to the store and the movie "Annie" was on sale for $5. We bought it and watched it while we relaxed at night. It is a fun, cute show, but interesting as well. The kids asked a lot of questions and it is hard to remember that they don't know a lot of how the world is. It was interesting to explain to them that some people don't have parents, and all about orphanages and adoption. On the other hand, I really liked it because I can use it as a teaching moment for the kids, to help them to realize our blessings. They had genuine, honest questions and showed genuine concern for the characters in the movie. I love how sensitive their hearts are, and how much they feel for others.

Here is a swimming close-up of A
T is having the time of his life


Sunday
T was asked to give the scripture in Primary. He had it all memorized and did not need any help. When they called him up to do the scripture I just sat back in my seat. He seemed to not know when to speak, so the Primary President came and helped him. He is so funny, but he did a great job! T & A were somewhat surprised when I didn't leave the Primary. When it was time for sharing time they were surprised to hear that I would be helping. I was asked to go in and talk to the kids a little bit about the Priesthood. When I first started talking to all the kids, T and A kept asking me what I was doing in there. Apparently they didn't like me walking on their turf. After the initial shock, I think they enjoyed having their Daddy in there for a minute. I, at least had fun being there.


Monday
Our President's Day was pretty uneventful. Mondays seem to almost always be our laundry and cleaning day. The kids were actually really great helpers today and we had fun doing our chores. We even rearranged all the furniture in their rooms, which they thought was awesome.
I went to put a wash in and I came back to see A looking like this. First of all, yes she is wearing one of my shirts. They both love to wear them to bed. I have figured out that they both tuck the shirts around their feet once they're in their beds. It seems to create this little cocoon for them or something. Well, this morning I fed them breakfast and then went to put in the first load of laundry. I saw A and could not figure out for the life of me what she had got on her shirt. Apparently she was holding the Ritz crackers while T shot the substance in the next picture.
Yes, it is true. Apparently I have not had this in the house enough to teach them the proper firing technique..........and they call it EASY cheese?
  • While we were at the dealership, getting the safety and emissions done on the car I looked at a new truck I really liked. I looked down at the sticker and shook my head as I said to myself, "41." The kids both said, "what is 41 Dad?" I said, "that is how much money that truck costs." A said, "oh, then you should buy it, you have 41 dollars don't you?" I told her that it was $41,000 dollars. She said, "oh, then I don't think you have enough money for it today." This is a phrase I tell the kids quite often when they keep asking for new toys every time we go to the store.
  • A sang her Valentine's song for Grandpa and Grandma the other day. As soon as she finished, T said, "this place is just like a circus!" in a silly voice.
  • T was being uncooperative the other day. I told him that I would count to 5. When he didn't pay any attention, I started counting. This annoyed him immensely and he said, "don't you know when you count that it only makes me more angry?"
  • As I was moving their furniture today, the kids were having a ball. They seemed particularly impressed when I moved their queen beds. T said, "wow Dad, good thing you go to the gym, or else there is no way you would be able to move this huge bed." In my head I thought, right, because as anyone can tell, I am all of the sudden some huge muscle man. Listen, I don't think it is a good idea for me to ruin their illusions at such a young age. They literally tell people that I know everything and that I am such a strong giant. I say let them be kids just a little longer. When they are teenagers, they will think I know nothing and that I am the biggest dork in the world.

Who is Visiting?