the first FIVE years

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Chinese Man and the Gangster

The Chinese Man

Apparently my work shipped some medical supplies to a patient's previous address. In the course of some other things, I was asked to pick up the supplies and then take them to their new address. I went to their old home and knocked on the door. A little old Chinese man, who talked exactly like Jackie Chan, answered the door. I asked him for the medical supplies and my arms were soon loaded with four good size boxes. I thanked him and turned to leave. He said, "wait, there is more." I thought to myself, "holy cow! how much stuff did we ship these people?" He then came out with a stack of mail and two toys. He said, "these things came in the mail and I found these toys around the apartment.....since you are going that way, yes?" I think I was too surprised and just replied, "yes?" He then said, "okay, bye" and shut the door. One of the toys kept singing me a song the whole way to their new home. It was fantastic! I got to their new home and they took everything, except one of the toys because they said it was not theirs. I ended up taking it to D.I. (at least it was not the noisy toy). I just have to say thank you to the Chinese man for helping me to reunite the mail and toys to this family. Not only did I give them medicine and supplies to keep them healthy, I also played the role of the mailman and Santa Claus. Two more things I can check off my list before I die.

The Gangster
Earlier today, around lunch time, my belly began to growl. I stopped off at a Carl's Jr. that happened to be right there. I was in a shadier part of Salt Lake. As I was leaving the drive through, there was a guy standing there who asked me if I had any spare change. I apologized as I honestly told him that I didn't (I rarely carry cash, especially while I am at work and I just use my debit card everywhere). When I told him this, he responded, "whatever, F you then." I smiled and said, "okay, well, have a great day." I then turned onto the street and had to wait at a red light. This guy had moved to the sidewalk. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him making all sorts of motions. It caught my attention and I looked at him. Either he was having a conniption fit or he was flashing some gang signs at me. I decided in my head that it was the latter, and although I tried to hold back, I started laughing my head off.......out loud! Most people may worry about getting shot, but I was laughing so hard I was crying! Why did I think it was so funny? This is what went through my head:


  1. This guy was dressed pretty similar to how I would dress on a normal day. Not so much what you would call gangsteresque type clothing. If anyone thinks I could pass for a gangster, I just have one thing to say: "hey essay, let's take my Impala to the hood and bust some caps and eighty-six that honky."
  2. He was walking everywhere. What is he going to do, run after me, or track me down by riding twelve routes on the bus? I was driving my work van, and not even my work van, but someone else's assigned work van. It is not like he saw my car, or my license plate, or anything else. How on earth does this guy think he is going to track me down? If he did track me down, he would be too tired from walking the whole way to my house to do anything.
  3. Finally, the thing that caused most of my laughter. This guy is begging for spare change! I may not be a rocket scientist, but I like to think. I am thinking someone who is begging for spare change probably does not have the money for a gun (even in this economy), let alone the money to buy the bullets to shoot from said gun.

So, to my wannabe gangster friend, I say, "sorry I didn't have any spare change, catch you later homes!"

Who is Visiting?